Potato, Cheese & Roasted Garlic
“This traditional Potato & Cheese filling has been a staple in my families meal planning for many years. The filling is delicious and economical. My daughter Theresa recently added Roasted Garlic to this recipe, which I think compliments the flavours very well. Potato fillings are the only filling I prep the same day. Potatoes can become clumpy if done a day or two ahead, fresh is better.” These Potato, Cheese & Roasted Garlic Pierogi are wonderful served with a Mushroom Sauce and or a sour cream topping. - Clara
YIELD: 30 to 40 Pierogi
PREP TIME: 50 to 60 minutes*
For the potatoes:
4 to 5 organic medium to large russet potatoes
1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt
6 to 8 cups (1.5 L to 2 L) of water in medium size pot
Combine potatoes and garlic with:
1 cup - 250 mL organic old Cheddar cheese, grated
A pinch of freshly ground pepper
For the roasted garlic:
2 to 3 heads of roasted organic garlic**
3 teaspoons (15 mL) olive oil
1. To make filling: Take 4 to 5 medium to large russet potatoes and boil in salted water until tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
2. While potatoes are cooking, cut the tops off of two to three heads of garlic. Drizzle each head of garlic with 1 teaspoon (5 mL) of olive oil and roast in the oven at 375˚F (190˚C) for 30 minutes, until lightly browned and bubbling. Set aside to cool.
3. Once potatoes are cooked, place in a colander with a bowl underneath (to retain the Potato Water). Remember to reserve Potato Water for the pierogi dough, if you have not already done so. Place potatoes back in the pot to dry slightly.
4. While potatoes are hot add grated cheese, warm roasted garlic and freshly ground pepper. Mash all ingredients with a potato masher and leave aside to cool.
6. When you are ready to assemble the pierogi: take a handful of potato mixture and form into a log. Place a 1 inch (2.5 cm) piece of potato mixture on top of circular pierogi dough. Follow illustrated guide on “How to Assemble Pierogi."
* Prep time includes approximate time for making the filling and assembling pierogi.
** Roast an extra head or two of garlic for: Red Pepper Flake Roasted Garlic Oil.