“My favourite apples for Apple Sauce are: Royal Gala, Cortland, Empire and Ambrosia to name a few. I use organic apples whenever possible. Peeling the skins is not required with organic apples. As a rule I always peel conventional (non-organic) apples before eating or cooking.” - Clara
YIELD: 16 ounces (500 mL)
APPLIANCE: Vitamix™ or blender
4 to 5 large organic apples, unpeeled, cored and chopped
2 cups (500 mL) of water
1 - 16 ounce (500 mL/1 pint) Mason jar
the juice of half a small lemon (optional)
1. Wash and cut apples into small pieces.
2. In a open sauce pan combine chopped apples and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil for a few minutes then turn to simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Do not cover with lid. Keep cooking until apple pieces are soft and break apart easily. Add the juice of half a lemon - if you have one handy.
3. Keep watch and stir occasionally. When apples have softened take a potato masher and mash the apple pieces and continue to cook to desired texture. When apples are fully cooked cover with lid and let cool.
4. After the Apple Sauce has cooled you can use a blender or Vitamix™ to blend the sauce to your liking. Place in a sterilized Mason jar.
5. Cool, seal and then refrigerate.
1. Apple Sauce brings moistness to cakes and muffins and can be used as a sugar substitute in baking.
2. In our home we use Apple Sauce as a condiment for french fries or home fries. Try it, I am sure you will enjoy it.