Greens & Onions
“Greens & Onions are one of my favourite side dishes. When possible I use a combination of kale, swiss chard, collard greens, bok choy and spinach. No matter what combination of greens I find this recipe is always nutritious and satisfying. I also use this recipe as a vegan filling for pierogi.” - Theresa
YIELD: 4 to 6 servings
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 10 to 15 minutes
For greens & onions:
4 small bok choy, quartered
1 bunch of kale, chopped
1 bunch of swiss chard, chopped
1 bunch of collard greens, chopped
3 to 4 medium to large onions, finely sliced
1 to 2 tablespoons (15 to 30 mL) olive oil
2 tablespoons (30 mL) balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons (30 mL) brown sugar
1. To prepare greens: Clean greens by soaking in water, spin dry and remove centre stalks from and place stalks in freezer bag for stock or soup. Quarter bok choy and chop kale, swiss chard and collard greens. Place to the side.
2. To make greens & onions: Start by finely slicing onions with a food processor (#2 or #4 blade) or by hand. Sauté until golden brown in extra virgin olive oil.
3. Add chopped greens. Mix lightly. Next, add balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Cook until desired tenderness.
1. Make sure you save the centre stalks of greens for stock or add to blended vegetable soups.
2. You can use this recipe as a vegan filling for Pierogi. Make sure you chop the greens & onions lightly in a food processor and then place in a colander and drain out any excess liquid.
3. When your filling is prepared follow the instructions on: "How to Assemble Pierogi."