Mushroom & Leek Soup
“Mushrooms and leek make a pleasant combination. My mother recently asked for a simple cream soup that she can easily heat up and eat. This is one I came up with for her.” -Theresa
Serves: 6 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 to 45 minutes
1 tablespoon (15 mL) each of coconut & olive oil
3-256 g packages of mushrooms, sliced
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 stalks of white and light green leeks, sliced
4 celery stalks, sliced
1 medium carrot, whole or sliced
6 to 8 cloves of garlic
4 to 6 cups (1 to 1.5 L) of Vegan stock
1-720 mL can of lite coconut milk or thin with almond or soy milk
1/4 to 1/2 cup (60 to 125 mL) sautéed mushrooms
1.To begin soup: Heat oil in a medium pot and sauté mushrooms on high heat until lightly browned and begin to sweat, 2 to 5 minutes. Remove 1/4 to 1/2 cup (60 to 125 mL) and set aside for topping.
2. Add onions, celery, carrot and garlic, cook until lightly browned. Add leek and continue to cook. Add one cup of stock to the pot and cook on a slow steady simmer for 15 minutes. Leaving the pot open.
3. Bring soup to a boil. Add remaining vegetable stock and reduce to medium heat for 5 or 10 minutes. Finally, reduce to simmer for remaining time.
4. Turn soup off to rest and cool.
5. When mixture is cool blend in a VitamixTM or blender with coconut milk or thin with almond milk.
6. Place in refrigerator and heat as needed.
7. To serve: Ladle soup into bowls. Place 2 or 3 sautéed mushrooms on top of each bowl.